As the nation’s combat logistics support agency, the Defense Logistics Agency manages the global supply chain – from raw materials to end user to disposition – for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, 10 combatant commands, other federal agencies, and partner and allied nations.
DLA also supplies 86 percent of the military’s spare parts and nearly 100 percent of fuel and troop support consumables, manages the reutilization of military equipment, provides catalogs and other logistics information products, and offers document automation and production services to a host of military and federal agencies. Headquartered at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, DLA is a global enterprise – wherever the United States has a significant military presence, DLA is there to support.
Take a look at DLA's fact sheet for a print-friendly overview of the organization's logistics roles and responsibilities.
DLA Quick Facts:
- DLA provides more than $35 billion in goods and services annually.
- Employs about 27,000 civilians and military.
- Supports more than 2,300 weapon systems.
- Manages nine supply chains and about 5 million items.
- Administers the storage and disposal of strategic and critical materials to support national defense.
- Operates a global network of distribution centers. DLA’s warehousing strategy is driven by the commitment to better serve warfighters, co-locating with the armed forces while placing supplies where they are most needed. By positioning material closer to its customers, DLA is able to decrease wait time, reduce cost and improve military readiness.
- Leads DoD’s efforts to supply the military services with alternative fuel and renewable energy solutions.
- Supports disaster response and humanitarian relief efforts at home and abroad.
- Supports other federal agencies, state and local governments with items such as uniforms, food and fuel. Customers include the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Department of the Interior, Health and Human Services, Forestry Service, and the Department of Agriculture School Lunch Program.
DLA Major Subordinate Commands
- DLA Troop Support, Philadelphia
Manages the supply chains for food, textiles, construction material, industrial hardware and medical supplies and equipment, including pharmaceuticals.
- DLA Aviation, Richmond, Virginia
Manages the supply chain for aviation weapons systems repair parts, flight safety equipment, maps, environmental products and industrial plant equipment.
- DLA Energy, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Manages the supply chain for petroleum and lubrication products, alternative fuel/renewable energy, aerospace energy; provides fuel quality/technical support, fuel card programs and installation energy services.
- DLA Distribution, New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
Provides storage and distribution solutions/management, transportation planning/management, logistics planning and contingency operations; operates a global network of distribution centers.
Defense Business Services
DLA Regional Commands
DLA Strategic Plan 2018-2026
Providing world-class logistics support doesn’t just happen. It takes a plan, the right people, and the constant desire to improve. DLA's strategic plan for 2018-2026 provides the roadmap to get us there. The five lines of effort represent the foundation DLA will use to provide global, end-to-end supply chain solutions. These efforts complement our mission as well as represent our commitment to remain agile and responsive to the current and emerging needs and expectations of warfighters and our other valued customers.
- Warfighter First: Strengthen Service and Combatant Command Readiness and Lethality
- Strong Partnerships: Leverage the Joint Logistics Enterprise, Interagency, Industry, and Partner and Allied Nations
- People and Culture: The heart of everything we do. If you take care of your people, the mission will happen
While these may be our operational imperatives and focus areas, DLA will continue to thrive on our values of leadership, professionalism and technical knowledge through dedication to duty, integrity, ethics, honor, courage and loyalty.