COLUMBUS, Ohio, May 14, 2019 —
The Defense Supply Center Columbus offers blood drives every month in coordination with the American Red Cross and the Armed Services Blood Program.
According to the Red Cross, every day 550 donors must give blood in order for Red Cross to meet the needs of patients at 53 hospitals in the Central Ohio Region.
The blood received from Armed Services Blood Drives supports the Military Health System and local civilian community based blood collection agencies in peacetime and wartime operations.
The benefits of donating blood:
- It’s a great way to learn your blood type. When you donate, your blood is typed for free.
- You get a mini-physical. Each donor has their blood pressure, pulse, hematocrit (anemia screening) and temperature checked.
- It’s a convenient way to do volunteer work in the community. The entire donation process will take approximately 60 minutes. Donate on your birthday, anniversary or other special occasions; celebrate your good health with others.
- It’s a big morale booster. This is one of the few things one can do to directly save another person’s life. Associates who successfully donate are eligible to receive up to 4 hours of administrative leave, with supervisor prior approval.
- One donation goes a long way. Your single donation may be separated into several blood products to help treat up to four different patients:
- Red Cells: anemia, kidney dialysis, surgery
- Plasma: burn victims, shock
- Platelets: leukemia, cancer, surgery
- Cryoprecipitate: hemophilia
DSCC blood drives are open to all installation employees, military, retirees (military and civilian), installation tenants and contractors with access to the installation. Blood drives are “closed” to the general public.
Drives occur at the Byus Center, Building 14, between the hours of 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
As blood drives approach, information is provided to associates via Message of the Day and the Command Daily Announcements.
Upcoming blood drives occur on the following Wednesdays for 2019:
- May 29 – ARC
- June 12 – ASBP
- July 10 – ASBP
- August 7 – ASBP
- September 4 – ASBP
- October 2 – ASBP
- October 30 – ARC
- November 13 – ASBP
- December 11 – ASBP