COLUMBUS, Ohio –
The Safety and Occupational Health Division will host the OSHA Safe + Sound Safety Campaign, an interactive, informational fair, Aug. 14 from 11a.m. -1p.m. in the Operations Center Buckeye and Cardinal rooms at the Defense Supply Center Columbus.
The annual event is held to raise awareness and understanding of the value of safety and health programs as part of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s nationwide campaign.
“DLA Shows commitment to safety through our Voluntary Protection Program ‘Star Safety’ and Occupational Health Management system which focuses on employee safety and occupational health training, encouragement of hazard identification, reporting and management,” said Land and Maritime Safety and Occupational Health Program manager Leslie Fox. “We recognize safety is everyone’s responsibility.”
Local safety organizations will be conducting interactive activities to include impaired vision simulators for driving, yard games and balance test and providing free educational items designed to engage associates and promote safety awareness.
“We’re excited to have several DSCC safety organizations participating in the 2019 Safe and Sound Safety Campaign,” Fox said.
“This year’s event includes multiple DSCC safety organizations: the Fire Department will be onsite to discuss fire prevention and are scheduled to conduct a fire extinguisher demonstration; Security Operations will discuss Emergency Action Plans and Disaster Preparedness and the Safety and Occupational Health Division will be providing general ladder safety tips and information on conducting a proper Job Hazard Analysis. Before departing the event, associates are encouraged to visit with our ergonomist who will be on site to share proper office chair adjustments and conduct ergonomic exercise demonstrations and we challenge associates to take part in a CPR contest being conducted by a licensed CPR & AED trainer,” she added.
The 2019 guest safety organizations and activities scheduled for the event are:
- American Red Cross: Providing information on swim, tornado and fire safety as well as disaster preparedness.
- Franklin County Safe Communities: Will have a distracted and impaired driving simulator, allowing associates to participate in motor skill games while wearing Impairment Goggles. Additionally there’ll be information available on car seat and traffic safety.
- Grainger: Providing information on electrical safety for the layman.
- The Walking Company: Will be available to discuss comfortable dress, athletic and orthotic shoes.
- Mount Carmel Hospital Falls and Balance Program: Providing information on fall prevention and a balance plate machine.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources Watercrafts Division: An ODNR Ranger Officer will be onsite to answer questions on boating safety and provided life jackets for associates to try on.
- Wright Patterson, 88th Air Base Wing, Public Health, Medical Center-Food Safety: Providing information on how to prepare food and prevent food borne illnesses.