Logistics Information Services
Important: The URL for this web page is changing soon! Please check back often for the new URL so you can update your bookmark and stay up-to-date with Logistics Information Services!
The Logistics Information Services mission traces back to World War II when each Military Service operated an independent system for cataloging items of supply. As a result, items of supply were given different names making efficient use of available stock impossible. Public Law 81-152, the Federal Property & Administration Services Act of 1949, established a common logistics language known as the Federal Catalog System (FCS). The first Federal stock number was assigned by the Army-Navy Munitions Board in 1949. During the 1950s, Public Law 82-436, the Defense Cataloging and Standardization Act assigned the creation and maintenance of the FCS to the Department of Defense (DOD). In turn, the DOD established the Armed Forces Supply Support Center (AFSSC) in Washington, D.C., with the mission to administer the FCS.
In the 1960s, the DOD delegated this mission to DLA, along with management of the AFSSC. The AFSSC was relocated to Battle Creek, Michigan and renamed the Defense Logistics Services Center (DLSC). After undergoing operational changes; DLSC began a ten year initiative to automate the FCS and the Defense Integrated Data System (DIDS). DLSC introduced an improved Federal Item Identification Guide (FIIG) into the FCS. Between the FIIGs and the Military Standard Item Characteristics Code Structure, a standardized way of describing and coding items of supply was developed. Additionally, International Codification work began and the development of procedures for assignment of DOD Ammunition Codes occurred.
The 1970s saw the first FCS course developed and taught around the country. Demilitarization Codes were developed to identify the status of the Munitions List Items in each Federal Supply Classification Group and Class. The DIDS was implemented, incorporating data records to increase efficiency and improve support to logistics functions. Technological advancements brought the addition of the computer center and the installation of word processing/data entry equipment.
During the 1980s, DLSC developed the Military Engineering Data Asset Locator System, an automated repository identifying the location of technical data and engineering drawings, and the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS), a repository for National Stock Number data.
The 1990s brought FLIS implementation and the consolidation of the DODs cataloging functions at DLSC. On January 18, 1998, DLSC became the Defense Logistics Information Service (DLIS), to reflect this new and broader mission.
The new millennium again brought DLA transformation imperatives, and DLIS became a J-6 Information Operations organization providing Information Technology (IT) support to DLA Disposition Services (formerly Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service) world-wide. In 2010, DLA implemented the “We Are DLA” plan to create a unified, single-agency approach, uniting the agency, regardless of location or mission. As a result, DLIS was renamed the Logistics Information Services to better reflect this affiliation. Today, the Customer Interaction Center and enterprise system management are part of an expanded mission, providing solutions to customer logistics issues.
Now and in the future, Logistics Information Services will continue to provide interoperable, integrated, quality logistics data and enterprise IT solutions for the Military Services, the DOD, other federal agencies and international partners in order to optimize the effectiveness and efficiency of the DOD Supply Chain.
Contact us for questions or additional interest in Logistics Information Services.