NEW CUMBERLAND, Pennsylvania, March 6, 2017 —
DLA Distribution now has two sexual assault response coordinators or SARC’s available to help ensure employees have a safe work environment that is free of sexual assault. A.J. Brandt is based out of DLA Distribution Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, and Esther Almas is based out of DLA Distribution San Joaquin, California.
Brandt who came to DLA Distribution in September 2016, has a Masters in social work from Norfolk State University and is a licensed clinical social worker. She has been working in the field of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse for the past 19 years in a variety of different capacities such as non-profits, Department of Social Services, local government and the Department of Defense.
Before coming to DLA, Brandt worked for the Air Force as a family advocacy outreach manager at Joint Base Langley – Eustis, serving Fort Eustis.
“I was responsible for the prevention and education about domestic violence and child abuse for the leadership, base community and soldiers and their families.
Almas was initially hired as the Family Advocacy Program manager for DLA Distribution in March 2015. She holds a graduate degree from California State University, Sacramento. She has been a social worker for over 20 years.
“I have experience as a child protective services social worker as well as being a medical social worker with a hospice program,” said Almas. “I was also a DoD social worker within the Family Advocacy Program, specifically the Air Force, before coming to DLA.”
Some of the services that Brandt and Almas provide are:
• Victim advocacy,
• Provide immediate crisis response,
• Confidential and unrestricted sexual assault reporting (confidential reporting for civilians may be limited by local and state jurisdictions),
• Accompaniment to medical appointments and legal or court proceedings,
• Resources and referrals to military or civilian programs,
• On-site interviews or accompaniment to local law enforcement agency,
• Liaison with the command.
“The SARC is here for people should they need it. We are here to support them. Working with the Distribution community gives me the opportunity to help our workforce and active duty military,” said Almas.
People can call the DLA SAPR hotline – 1-800-841-0937, which is available 24/7. Another good resource for sexual assault is the DoD SAFE Helpline at 1-877-995-5242. Employees can also contact Brandt or Almas directly. Brandt’s direct line is 717-770-5076 and Almas is 209-839-4792.
The DLA SAPR hotline is not just for crises, but also for supervisors and employees who want more information.
More information can be found on these sites:
• DLA Sexual Assault Prevention and Response website (linked to http://www.dla.mil/Info/SAPR/)
• www.SafeHelpline.org – Sexual assault support for DOD community
• DOD Sexual Assault Prevention and Response website (linked to http://www.sapr.mil/)
• Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network – the nation’ largest anti-sexual violence organization (linked to https://www.rainn.org/)
Brandt and Almas are two of the eight sexual assault response coordinators at DLA’s primary level field activities. There is also a program manager and SAPR specialist at DLA Headquarters in Fort Belvoir, Virginia. Brandt is the SARC for the Distribution Eastern regions and Almas covers the west.