Workforce Recruitment Program: A win/win for everyone
By Leo Lecompte
Director, Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity
1 of 1
The Workforce Recruitment Program brings college students and recent graduates with disabilities to DLA so the agency can benefit from their talent. Several WRP employees and those close to the program share their experiences with the program in a video.
May 19, 2017 —
It’s a fantastic program — a hidden jewel for supervisors and managers who take advantage of its benefits. The Workforce Recruitment Program brings college students and recent graduates with disabilities to DLA so the agency can benefit from their talent. There is no cost or loss of a position to DLA.
It’s a hiring strategy that allows college students and recent graduates with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace get the break they need to become productive member of the DLA team. At the end of the 14-week period, if you’re satisfied with their performance and have a vacancy they qualify for, you can hire them noncompetitively by using the “Schedule A” hiring authority, or you can release them.
Sound too good to be true? See the short video below or view the open captioned video or close captioned video on DLA's YouTube channel to hear from a few of the managers and employees who have participated in the WRP.
Here’s a quick checklist supervisors and managers have asked for:
- Program is funded by DoD for 14-week internships.
- Managers choose candidates with knowledge, skills, experience tailored for their organization.
- Participants can work anywhere in the DLA enterprise, including overseas.
- Managers can evaluate participants on the job for 14 weeks, with the option to offer full-time, permanent employment.
- WRP demonstrates your commitment to diversity and inclusion within the workforce.
Make the WRP work for you. Allow talented people to prove their abilities and contribute to your team.