OSHA Safe & Sound returns to DSCC
By Dana Thornbury
DLA Land and Maritime Public Affairs
1 of 1
Chris Prater, a DLA Land and Maritime associate, tests his driving skills using an impaired driving simulator that allows participants to experience what it’s like to drive with a simulated blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 to 0.15 during the 2018 OSHA Safe & Sound Campaign event Aug. 16 at the Defense Supply Center Columbus. The campaign was sponsored by the Safety and Occupational Health Division and a part of a nationwide event to raise awareness and understanding of the value of safety and health programs.
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Aug. 24, 2018 —
The Safety and Occupational Health Division hosted an interactive, informational fair Aug. 16 at the Defense Supply Center Columbus to raise awareness and understanding of the value of safety and health programs as part of a nationwide campaign.
The OSHA Safe & Sound event was held in the Building 20 Buckeye Room and participants included local and community safety organizations.
During lunch, associates were provided free educational information and items that emphasized safety messages. Attendees participated in interactive activities to include impaired vision simulators for driving, yard games and balance test.
The 2018 exhibit participants included
- DLA Installation Operations at Columbus’ Safety and Occupational Health Division: Provided several stations including safety tools, office equipment safety and industrial hygiene.
- American Red Cross: Provided information on swim, tornado and fire safety as well as disaster preparedness.
- Franklin County Safe Communities: Provided a distracted and impaired driving simulator. Associates played motor skill games while wearing Impairment Goggles (to simulate drunkenness).
- Grainger: Provided information on electrical safety for the layman.
- Motorcycle Ohio: Provided motorcycle safety and educational items.
- Mount Carmel Hospital Falls and Balance Program: Provide information on fall prevention and a Balance Plate machine.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources Watercrafts Division: An ODNR Ranger Officer was onsite to answer questions on boating safety and provided life jackets for associates to try on.
- Wright Patterson, 88th Air Base Wing, Public Health, Medical Center-Food Safety: Provided information on how to prepare food and prevent food borne illnesses.