Mr. Mellman is a native of Milton, Pennsylvania. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science Degree in Administration from Central Michigan University. He is also a graduate of the U.S. Army War College. Mr. Mellman served as the Director, DLA Installation Management Europe and Africa, from May 2016 through May 2019, providing safety, security, environmental, and facilities management services to DLA activities operating in the U.S. European Command (EUCOM), U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) areas of responsibility. He also served as the Staff Director, for DLA Installation Support’s Business Management Office, from August 2012 through May 2016, providing policy and staff oversight for operations, planning, financial management, and human resource management.
Prior to joining DLA, he served on active duty with the United States Army for over 30 years as a Transportation and Logistics Corps Officer where he supported joint and combined forces involved in contingency operations. His experience includes strategic deployment, power projection, transportation, distribution, movement control, materiel management, and multi-functional logistics. He served in numerous command and staff positions while assigned to units in the United States and overseas.
Some of his assignments include:
- Commander, 2nd Transportation Company, Friedberg, Germany and SouthwestAsia
- Transportation Officer, Military Traffic Management Command, Bailey’s Crossroads, VA, andSomalia
- Support Operations Officer, 526th Forward Support Bn, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, KY
- Corps Transportation Officer, XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, NC
- Commander, 27th Transportation Battalion, Wiesbaden, Germany
- Deputy Corps G4, V Corps, Heidelberg Germany and Iraq
- Chief, Deployment Distribution Management Center (DDMC), 21st TSC, Kaiserslautern, Germany
- Chief of Staff, 21st Theater Support Command (TSC), Kaiserslautern,Germany
- Chief of Staff; U.S. Army Transportation Center and School (USATC&S) Fort Eustis,VA
- Director of Logistics (G4), U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), Fort Eustis,VA
He participated in several operations including:
- Operation Iraqi Freedom in Kuwait and Iraq (2003)
- Operation Joint Guardian in Macedonia and Kosovo (2000-2001)
- Hurricane Mitch Disaster Relief Operations in Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua (1998-1999)
- Operation Joint Endeavor in Hungary and Bosnia (1996)
- Operation Continue Hope in Somalia (1993)
- Operation Desert Shield and Storm in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq (1991)
His awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit (2OLC), Bronze Star Medal (1OLC) the Meritorious Service Medal (4OLC), the Army Commendation Medal (4OLC), the Joint Service Achievement Medal, the Air Assault Badge, and the Master Parachutist Badge. He retired from the U.S. Army as a Colonel in 2012 after 30 years of active military service.