NEW CUMBERLAND, Pa. –
Defense Logistics Agency Installation Management Susquehanna Security & Emergency Services team initiated a preparedness program for the month of April. Deemed “April PrepareAthon,” the Security & Emergency Services Management team will provide a new topic each week this month to assist employees with preparing for disasters and other emergencies.
This week’s topic covers flood safety tips and National Telecommunicator Safety Week – getting the emergency message.
For example, we know that area roads around Defense Distribution Center, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, are prone to flooding as access to the installation was impacted twice last year due to flooding of local roads. With that in mind, the following is what you should know about Flood Safety and how to prepare:
• Know what to do before, during and after a flood.
• Make a family emergency communication plan and include pets.
• Have emergency supplies in place at home and in the car.
• Listen to local officials by radio or TV.
• Evacuate when advised by authorities or if you are in a flood or flash flood prone area.
• If you are on high ground above flooded areas, be prepared to stay where you are, it may be the best protection.
• Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Never drive or walk-through flooded areas.
Additionally, this week of April is Telecommunicator week. In 1994, President William J. Clinton signed presidential Proclamation 6667, declaring the second week of April as National Public Safety Telecommunicator Week. The week is a time to celebrate and thank emergency service dispatchers across the nation who remain at the ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Please take this opportunity to verify or add your information in the DLA AtHoc mass notification system. AtHoc provides important real time emergency information to your phone. To verify, click on the purple globe in the bottom right had corner of your desktop or laptop computer.
The dedicated professionals assigned to the DLA Installation Management Susquehanna’s Security & Emergency Services are always ready to execute routine or emergency support to the installation and the locally community.