Miscellaneous Expense Allowance
Definition of Miscellaneous Expense Allowance
Reimbursement of various costs associated with an authorized/approved Permanent Change of Station (PCS) residence-relocation. MEA is payable when a PCS is authorized/approved, the employee moves out of the old residence and establishes a new residence, and signs an appropriate transportation agreement. Examples of reimbursable cost include:
1. Disconnecting/connecting appliances, equipment and utilities involved in relocation, and converting appliances for operation on available utilities (this does not include purchasing appliances or equipment in lieu of conversion).
2. Cutting and fitting rugs, draperies and curtains from one residence to another.
3. Non-refundable utility fees/deposits.
4. Losses on non-transferable/non-refundable contracts for medical, dental, food lockers, and private institutional care (such as that provided for dependents with disabilities only).
5. Automobile registration, driver’s license and taxes imposed when bringing automobiles into some jurisdictions, reinstalling a catalytic converter upon vehicle reentry into the U.S. for employees participating the DoD POV Import Control Program.
6. Rental agent fees customarily charged for securing housing in foreign countries.
7. Charges for pet quarantine excluding medicine/medical care, grooming, and similar fees for services that are part of routine pet care.
8. Required removal or installation by host country law of automobile parts (such as tinted windows or special lights) and similar items.
How and Where to File Claims for Reimbursement
Complete form DD 1351-2, Travel Voucher, upload form to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Voucher Direct: https://corpweb1.dfas.mil/askDFAS/custMain.action?mid=Instructions .
You can send also send civilian relocation vouchers to DFAS Rome:
When filing your claim, you will need to provide a copy of your PCS travel orders, all airline tickets, taxi fare receipts, passport fees, and immunization fees with your travel voucher. For tutorials see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhx_8nsfXqVj-Pf34sZ8pPVe4MOuxXN5-.