DEFINITION OF FOREIGN TRANSFER ALLOWANCE:
There are four areas of Foreign Transfer Allowance (FTA). All areas of the FTA are non-taxable. These areas include:
1. Subsistence Expense is granted to assist employees with the costs of temporary lodging, meals, laundry, and dry cleaning that are incurred when an employee transfers to a foreign post from a post in the U.S. This allowance may be granted for up to 10 days before final departure from a post in the U.S., beginning not more than 30 days after the employee has vacated permanent residence quarters. According to the government-wide DSSR the 10 days may be taken anywhere in the U.S. as long as the employee or family members have not begun travel on orders and the final departure is from the U.S. post of assignment.
2. Miscellaneous Expense is authorized to all first-time appointees (first appointment to the Federal Government) under official travel orders to assist with extraordinary cost of moving
a. The following amounts may be granted without receipts or itemizing required:
(1) for an employee without family - $650 or the equivalent of one week's pay, whichever is the lesser amount;
(2) for an employee with family - $1,300 or the equivalent of two weeks' pay, whichever is the lesser amount.
b. The following amounts, based on the employee's salary at the time of entrance on duty at the new post, may be granted in lieu of the amounts provided in Section 242.1a, if supported by either paid bills or other acceptable evidence justifying the amounts claimed:
(1) for an employee without family - an amount based on actual allowable itemized expenditures not to exceed one week's salary for the employee or one week's salary for an employee at GS-13, step 10, whichever is the lesser amount;
(2) for an employee with family - an amount based on actual allowable itemized expenditures not to exceed two week's salary for the employee or two weeks' salary for an employee at GS-13, step 10, whichever is the lesser amount.
3. Lease penalty is to help offset the expense of a residence quarters lease penalty unavoidably incurred by an employee. The amount of reimbursement shall not exceed the amount required by the specific terms of a rental contract signed by the employee as a prior condition of obtaining the lease, or the equivalent of three months rent, whichever is less.
Amounts as indicated above may be reimbursed only after an appropriate authorizing official of the employing agency certifies in writing that:
a. the employee's transfer to a foreign post of assignment was due solely to actions by the employing agency and to unusual conditions fully beyond the control of the employee; and
b. the termination of the lease and departure of the employee did not result from any specific actions by the employee to seek a curtailment of the assignment for transfer or promotion; and
c. the employee was not negligent in promptly notifying the landlord of the intent to terminate the lease after receiving an official notice of transfer; and
d. all reasonable steps were taken by the employee to dispose of the residence quarters by sublease or assignment to others; and
e. both the employee and employing agency made reasonable efforts to avoid the full lease penalty by delaying the employee's transfer to a foreign post of assignment.
4. Wardrobe Expense, which is not authorized for DoD employees.
HOW TO DETERMINE YOUR MAXIMUM ALLOWANCE FOR THE SUBSISTENCE PORTION OF FTA:
To determine your maximum allowance, you will first need to find the maximum per diem rate authorized for your current duty location/actual residence (as indicated on your PCS orders). Click on the Per Diem link below to find your rate and then use the following calculations to determine your maximum daily allowance:
Employee: 1 x 100% of the per diem rate
Family Members 12 and Over: # of members x 75% of the per diem rate
Family Members Under 12: # of members x 50% of the per diem rate
Example: Per Diem Rate is $146.00
Employee: (1) x $146 = $146.00
Family Members Over 12: 2 members x $109.50 (75% of per diem rate) = $219.00
Family Members Under 12: 2 members x $73.00 (50% of per diem rate) = $146.00
Maximum Daily Allowance = $511.00
HOW TO REQUEST FOREIGN TRANSFER ALLOWANCE:
To request Foreign Transfer Allowance, complete SF-1190 and the DSSR 240 FTA worksheet. For the subsistence portion, attach copies of the entire hotel/lodging bill with your claim, and receipts for expenses $75 and over. This claim is filed at actual expenses for each day. The completed forms should be provided to HRSvcs-N Overseas Entitlements, firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO RECEIVE FTA:
It will take approximately four weeks to receive these funds after your request has been received. The funds will be included in your normal bi-weekly paycheck.