IGD 1006: ESOHMS AWARENESS & COMPETENCE
This IGD identifies the DLA-SM Environmental, Safety, and Occupational Health Management System (ESOHMS) training standards requirements of the International Organization of Standards (ISO) 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems and 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems-Requirements with Guidance for Use documents and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) elements and sub-elements.
These training requirements are for all DLA-SM personnel and those working on our behalf whose responsibilities may create a significant impact on environmental, safety, and occupational health (ESOH) aspects, risks, and hazards. DLA-SM will meet all ISO and VPP training requirements. The importance and planning of ESOHMS and VPP training will be detailed in the DLA-SM ESOHMS Training Plan. Top Management is responsible for ensuring that applicable personnel receive training to achieve an appropriate level of ESOH competence and awareness.
DLA Strategic Materials shall:
- Determine the necessary competence and training needs of workers affecting and associated with ESOH performance and its ability to fulfil ESOH compliance obligations and legal and other requirements.
- Ensure that workers are competent (including the ability to identify hazards) based on appropriate education, training, or experience.
- Determine training needs associated with ESOH aspects and risks.
- Where applicable, take actions to acquire and maintain the necessary competence, and evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken, and retain appropriate documented information as evidence of competence.
Workers shall be made aware of:
- The ESOHMS Policy Statement and objectives, the OSHA Depot VPP Policy Statements, and the VPP elements and sub-elements.
- Worker contributions to the effectiveness of the ESOHMS, including the benefits of improved/enhanced ESOHMS performance.
- Implications and potential consequences of not conforming to ESOHMS regulatory compliance, legal, and other requirements.
- Incidents and the outcomes of investigations that are relevant to the workers.
- ESOH hazards, risks, environmental aspects/impacts, and actions determined that are relevant to the worker and their work.
- The workers’ ability to remove themselves from work situations that they consider present an imminent and serious danger to their life or health, as well as the arrangements for protecting them from undue consequences for doing so.
- SUPPORTING ESOHMS DOCUMENTS
- DLA-SM ESOHMS Policy Statement
- DLA-SM ESOH Management Plan
- DLA-SM Depot VPP Policy Statements
- Hawthorne Depot VPP Policy Statement
- Hammond Depot VPP Policy Statement
- Scotia Depot VPP Policy Statement
“Any reproduction of this document may not reflect the current version. Please refer to the ‘I Am The Key’ website for the most current version.”