Hazardous Materials Information Resource
System (HMIRS) Next Generation (NextGen)
The Hazardous Materials Information Resource System (HMIRS) is a FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (FOUO) product. Unauthorized distribution of this product or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine up to $10,000.
was stood up in 1985
- is the central repository for information on hazardous materials used by the Department of Defense (DOD)
- was implemented in 2002 as a replacement to the Hazardous Material Information System (HMIS), so it contains data from January 1985 forward
- is an automated system that contains:
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) as of 1 June 2015
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Globally Harmonized System (GHS) Labels
- Product Records
- Government unique value-added data comprised of:
- Transportation data
- Logistics data
- Hazard Characteristic Code (HCC)
- the ability to create an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliant GHS label
The DODI 6050.05 provides instruction for the United States (U.S.) Government and civil agencies to maintain product hazard information on hazardous materials that are procured and to maintain the documents indefinitely. Currently, there are more than 500,000 records in HMIRS.
Contact us or your Service/Agency POC for questions or additional interest in HMIRS.