Commentary: Managing change both personally and professionally in a virtual workplace
By Notasha Fant
DLA Land and Maritime People and Culture
COLUMBUS, Ohio, April 15, 2020 —
In a new commentary, Change Management Specialist Notasha Fant offers tips and resources to help employees navigate the virtual workplace.
Do you remember the first news reports about COVID-19? Images of China’s once heavily populated streets now empty. Did you ever think COVID-19 would impact us? I didn’t.
We’re now working in a virtual world. For many of us, our personal life has officially collided with our professional life. As a result, you may find it challenging to adjust to this new norm. Here are some personal and professional managing change tips to consider:
- Stay connected! Chat, text, or webcam your family and friends.
- Stay active! Take a good old fashion walk in the park or around your block.
- Practice social distancing (aka physical distancing)! You can still socialize just at a distance.
- Ask for help! Contact the Employee Assistance Program if you need help because you are not alone.
- For more tips, read EAP’s latest blog “Routines, self-care becomes more important than ever.”
- Stay engaged! Don't let personal activities distract you from supporting our Warfighter First.
- Stay connected! Use virtual tools such as Skype and Defense Collaboration Services to stay in touch with your co-workers and supervisors.
- If you are not sure when and how to use these virtual tools, help is on the way!
- People and Culture will offer an Information Session on Skype at 3 p.m. on April 16. If you have questions, or would like to attend the Skype information session, contact Raymond Bibb at Raymond.firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-692-3518, to receive the meeting invitation/information. For more information, visit the MOTD.
- People and Culture will offer an Information Session on Defense Collaboration Services at 10:15 on April 17. If you would like to attend, contact Brenda Minnema at Brenda.Minnema@dla.mil to receive a meeting invitation. For more information, see the MOTD on How To DCS.
- Stay up to date on IT readiness for COVID-19! Go to the J6 COVID-19 Readiness Page (CAC-enabled) for the latest information.
- Stay engaged! Don’t let personal activities distract you from supporting our Warfighter First!
- Be resilient! Don’t forget to check out our Resiliency page.