Frequently Asked Questions - Preservation Submethods
Listed below are compiled packaging FAQs for the 'Preservation Submethod' topic. Our Submethod web page identifies the submethod codes and provides a description of the requirements. If your question is not listed, please use either our feedback form to add a Packaging FAQ to this listing or E-mail us directly at: DSCC.firstname.lastname@example.org
As a reminder, there are the five basic Methods of Preservation and thirteen submethods:
NOTE: All Method of Preservation links listed below were updated on 25 June 2003.
- Method 10 (formerly Method III) Physical protection
- Method 20 (formerly Method I) Preservative coating only (with greaseproof wrap, as required)
- Method 30 (formerly Method IC) Waterproof or waterproof-greaseproof protection with preservative as required
- Method 31 (formerly Submethod IC-3) Waterproof bag, sealed
- Method 32 (formerly Submethod IC-2) Container, waterproof bag, sealed
- Method 33 (formerly Submethod IC-1) Greaseproof-waterproof bag, sealed
- Method 40 (formerly Method IA) Watervaporproof protection with preservatives as required
- Method 41 (formerly Submethod IA-8) Watervaporproof bag, sealed
- Method 42 (formerly Submethod IA-14) Container, watervaporproof bag, sealed
- Method 43 (formerly Submethod IA-16) Floating waterproof bag, sealed
- Method 44 (formerly Submethod IA-13) Rigid container (other than metal), sealed
- Method 45 (formerly Submethod IA-5) Rigid metal container, sealed
- Method 50 (formerly Method II) Watervaporproof protection with desiccant
- Method 51 (formerly Submethod IIc) Watervaporproof bag, sealed
- Method 52 (formerly Submethod IIb) Container, watervaporproof bag, sealed
- Method 53 (formerly Submethod IIa) Floating watervaporproof bag, sealed
- Method 54 (formerly Submethod IIf) Rigid container (other than metal), sealed
- Method 55 (formerly Submethod IId) Rigid metal container, sealed
NOTE: MIL-STD-2073-1D has three submethod groups. They fall under the basic methods of preservation: 30, 40, and 50. The links on this web page will focus on the submethods specifically.
Content Inquiries: DSCC.Packaging@dla.mil
- Are there only five Methods of preservation and thirteen submethods?
No, there are 22 specialized preservation codes, and many special packaging instructions (denoted with 'ZZ').
- I have an old contract with preservation methods/submethods from MIL-STD-2073-2C and/or MIL-P-116. How do I convert them to MIL-STD-2073-1C or the current MIL-STD-2073-1D codes?
The preservation conversion table web page is a good tool to convert old (MIL-STD-2073-1B & 2C and/or MIL-P-116 )codes to new (MIL-STD-2073-1D) codes.
Last Updated: 14 Oct 2015