|1. DLMS Course Description: This training provides basic awareness and broad-spectrum knowledge of Defense Logistics Management Standards (DLMS). DLMS are a broad base of business rules designed to meet DoD's requirements for logistics support. The DLMS are developed in collaboration with the Military Departments, Defense Agencies, and participating Federal Agencies to accommodate the old DoD-unique logistics data exchange standards and processes commonly referred to as the "MILS" (Military Standard), plus new information exchange requirements supporting modernization. DLMS transactional exchanges are founded in American National Standards Institute (ANSI) chartered Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) X12 commercial standards and support other emerging electronic business (EB) technologies, such as eXtensible Markup Language (XML). The training provides an introduction to electronic data interchange (EDI) as applied under the DLMS and includes an introduction to commercial EDI, DLMS background and concept, DLMS implementation strategy/planning, and an overview of understanding of DLMS-specific EDI. This training is of particular value to functional and technical subject matter experts involved with the migration from the legacy 80 record position formats supporting MILSTRIP, MILSTRAP, MILSBILLS business processes.
2. Key Objectives:
- Understand the background and current applications of commercial EDI, DLMS and Federal and DoD Electronic Commerce/EDI, DLMS policy
- Understand basic commercial EDI, DLMS standards and mapping process
- Understand the additional capabilities provided by EDI, DLMS
- Understand the overall DLMS, DLMS operating concept and implementation strategy
- Understand the DLMS change management process
- Understand the DLMS Implementation Conventions (ICs)
- Understand how DLMS addresses new DoD requirements for Unique Item Identification (UID) and Passive Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Understand the options for employing XML, DLMS under the EDI, DLMS
3. DLMS Training eLearning Tool: The DLMS Training eLearning Tool is a modular, self-paced online training tool that provides basic awareness and broad-spectrum knowledge of the Defense Logistics Management Standards (DLMS).