The Subsistence Food Quality team proactively responds by:
- Auditing operational rations facilities and verifying compliance and effectiveness of quality systems implemented to ensure they are capable of consistently producing safe and quality rations and the logistical infrastructures that support them
- Auditing commercial products offered to the government by prime vendors to ensure these are of the best quality and price as those available in the marketplace
- Performing food defense audits at DLA Troop Support contractors' facilities to ensure products intended for our customers are produced, packaged, assembled and stored in a safe environment and protected from intentional contamination or adulteration;
- Performing adequacy audits to ensure quality systems and food defense plans submitted by Subsistence contractors are adequate for each procurement and that they reflect current requirements;
- Develop and monitor the DLA Troop Support integrated pest management and sanitation programs and surveillance and support of those programs
- Internal/external training programs in the area of pest management, stored product and pest surveillance training, ISO 9000 Quality Systems Auditing, Food Defense Auditing, Food Safety, general quality assurance, etc.
Lead Auditors are considered the Subsistence subject matter experts, and as such, provide internal/external consultative services in the above areas and general support involving complex Subsistence quality assurance issues. In performing these functions, we form and support other members of the DLA Troop Support acquisition team and external personnel supporting our mission by providing reliable and timely auditing results and recommendations so that DLA Troop Support can supply our present and future customers timely and quality safe products at an affordable cost.