Krav Maga Self-Defense
at the Defense Supply Center Columbus
View in open caption
Awareness it the key to prevention. Throughout the year, self-defense classes are offered on the Defense Supply Center Columbus to associates to raise awareness and teach tools that can help individuals defend themselves against common strikes and scenarios.
Join us for our next class on
July 10, 2019
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m
Upcoming classes: August 28, and October 2.
No one can hurt me without my permission. - Gandhi
- 20% of all Americans will experience a violent encounter in their lifetime
- Violence causes more than 1.6 million deaths worldwide every year
- If taken to a secondary location, 2% of victims are found - 1% found alive
- 1 out of 6 women and 1 out of 33 men are assaulted in their lifetime
You teach people how to treat you by what you allow, what you stop and what you reinforce. - Tony Gaskins
View in open caption
Tips for setting boundaries:
- Give yourself permission to say "no" or "that makes me uncomfortable."
- Say it once - after that if you feel the situation needs to be addressed, go to
- Recognize "normalizing behavior." When an incident is regarded with "She's just like that" or "Oh, he does that all the time," consider addressing the person directly. Some people simply don't realize their behavior is negative or disruptive. If that is beyond your comfort level, go to your first line supervisor or a resource listed above.
Have a plan
Have that difficult discussion with your spouse, significant other, parents, and children. By having a plan in place, your brain will not have to process information, searching for a solution. Make the decision on things such as one of you stays to fight, the other leaves to call 911 or seek help elsewhere. One of you acts as a barrier while the other protects children. Or, you both fight together. If nothing else, make the absolute decision that between the bad guy and you, it will be you that goes home safe.
Even while at home, discuss what would be done during a home invasion. Old digital phones, so long as they can retain a charge and are within range of a tower can be used to dial 911. The much older phones will probably not have GPS capability, but if your children are home alone and you assign a place for them to hide, an old cell phone can be used to call for help.
What is Krav Maga?
Krav Maga is the combat system used by the Israeli defense forces that combines street fighting with traditional martial arts. It is a response with a simultaneous counterattack. The techniques used focus on a natural response that is easy, effective and efficient in real-world situations with the purpose of overcoming the attacker and walking away safely.
Why should I learn Krav Maga?
Everyone has the right to feel safe and often times people express they lack the tools to do so. Krav Maga is just one of the tools that is taught at the Defense Supply Center Columbus to associates. It teaches associates how to avoid the situation first. If the situation cannot be avoided, it provides an answer that will aid a target individual in walking away safely from the occurrence.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin